It is quite possible to lose weight simply, quickly and tasty if you discover the watermelon diet. Watermelon is rich in vitamins, and it would seem that it only benefits the body. But is it really so, it is still worth figuring out. Such a diet has its advantages and pitfalls, and in order not to run into them, you need to take a responsible approach to the issue, then you won't have to save yourself from more serious health problems instead of extra pounds.
Principles of the watermelon diet
On the one hand, the principle of the watermelon diet is simple - to exclude everything from the diet except watermelon and lose weight. Eating this one berry, you can really get the result.
But how positive it will be depends on several factors:
- The diet is carried out during the watermelon season - in August-September. If you get carried away with it at another time, you can "feed" yourself with nitrates and get to the hospital.
- When choosing a berry, give preference to fruits of a small or medium size, without dents or cracks.
- If a mono diet is selected, it lasts no more than 3-5 days. Watermelon is nutritious and contains vitamins, but not enough to completely replace a complete diet.
- A long watermelon diet must be accompanied by other foods: unsweetened fruits, vegetables, cereals, lean meat, fish, low-fat dairy products.
- The exit from the diet is gradual, with the daily addition of other foods, according to the principle: from lighter to heavier. It is important to monitor the calorie intake and the amount of food. A sharp load on the body will reduce all efforts to nothing, and the body will be happy to stock up on additional reserves for the future. This will immediately affect the rapid return of lost pounds.
- Before cutting the watermelon, rinse it well, this will help avoid intestinal infection.
Following the rules, on a watermelon diet, you can lose 3 kg or more in a few days. But it should be understood that initially it will not be a loss of body fat. In the early days of the diet, excess water stagnant in the cells leaves the body, and with it toxic substances. Often, such congestions provoke a slowdown in metabolism and weight gain.
Features of the watermelon diet
The watermelon diet for weight loss is one of the relatively mild ones. The sweetness of the berry and the high water content in it will allow you not to feel hunger, even if all three days there is only watermelon on the menu.
But the main feature is the ability not only to lose extra pounds in a short period. During the diet, excess fluid, toxins and slags are removed from the body, the concentration of harmful cholesterol decreases. There is a restart of metabolic processes, the work of the digestive system and kidneys is getting better.
Pay attention!If during the diet you feel unwell, exacerbation of chronic diseases, it is better to give up the diet and visit a doctor.
For effective weight loss, you need to take into account some of the features of the watermelon diet:
- To begin with, exclude salty and sweet foods and snacks, do not eat fatty foods and give up alcohol.
- For a long watermelon ration, make a menu to avoid the simultaneous intake of cheeses, fermented milk products and eggs with berries. This combination can cause fermentation in the gastrointestinal tract with all the ensuing consequences: bloating, flatulence (gas formation) and upset stools.
- It is better if you prepare for the diet in advance: 3-4 days before the start, introduce watermelon into the menu, with a gradual increase in the portion, remove other products, starting with heavier ones, from the diet.
- The watermelon diet lasts no more than 10-14 days. This time, subject to all the rules, is enough to lose up to 6 kg. If a repeated course is needed, it is recommended to take it no earlier than a month later.
Benefits of the watermelon diet
The main benefit of the watermelon diet lies in the properties of the watermelon itself, or rather in its composition:
- Water - stimulates metabolic processes, improves the outflow of bile, normalizes the work of the excretory system, thereby eliminating puffiness.
- Fructose - gives energy and tones, helps relieve fatigue.
- Vitamins and minerals - watermelon contains vitamins A, C, E, PP, B vitamins, mineral salts, iron, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus. This composition allows you to normalize sleep, fight chronic fatigue, helps stabilize blood pressure, relieves muscle cramps and numbness in them.
- Pectins - cleanse blood vessels, lower cholesterol levels, normalize the work of the cardiovascular system.
- Antioxidants (lycopene, beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, lutein, beta-cryptoxanthin) - increase immunity, reduce the risk of developing cancer cells, have a positive effect on the hormonal system, and improve heart function.
Such a complex of useful substances will help not only fight overweight, but also improve health.
The fact of the low calorie content of watermelon is also important - only30–40 Kcalper 100 g of pulp.
Contraindications for the watermelon diet
Despite the rich and healthy composition of the berry, the watermelon diet has a number of contraindications.
It is better to refuse it when:
- kidney disease: they may not be able to handle a lot of fluid;
- the presence of sand and stones in the gallbladder and kidneys;
- diabetes mellitus;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- diseases of the digestive tract;
- for allergies.
Even if you are completely confident in your health, it is important to monitor your feelings while dieting. If you feel unwell, pain from a strict regimen, it is better to immediately refuse and consult a doctor for advice.
Disadvantages of the watermelon diet
Before starting the watermelon diet for weight loss, you should consider its disadvantages. In some cases, they can outweigh the benefits of the beneficial properties of the berry.
Of the insignificant disadvantages, the following are distinguished:
- Seasonality.Healthy and affordable watermelons are only sold in late summer and early fall.
- Diet is best done while on vacation.The diuretic effect will create significant inconvenience during work. More serious shortcomings can lead to more serious consequences than problems with extra pounds.
- Watermelon has a high glycemic index (GI).Such foods lead to surges in blood sugar and the deposition of calories in fat stores.
- The calorie content of watermelon is low, but it is easy to deceive on it.If you expect that 1 kg of watermelon goes to 10 kg of body weight, then you can even exceed the calorie requirement per day. For example, with a weight of 70 kg, the norm for eating berries on a mono diet will be 7 kg. It turns out: 7 x 10 x 35 = 2450 Kcal. At the same time, 2100 kcal per day is considered the norm, with a sedentary lifestyle, for a woman of 30 years old, with a height of 170 and a weight of 70 kg. Because of which there is a risk of gaining even more weight.
- Restart.There is a risk of overloading yourself with nitrates and getting into an infectious diseases hospital with severe poisoning.
- Ailments.On a tough mono-diet, malaise and fatigue may occur due to a lack of trace elements that watermelon does not contain.
- Stomach problems.A sharp transition from a normal diet to eating a lot of watermelons can provoke gastrointestinal problems in the form of upset, constipation, bloating and exacerbation of diseases.
Watermelon Diet Options
You can think of many watermelon diets, somehow diversify them, but only three options are common.
Monodiet on watermelons
A watermelon mono-diet is a diet based on one product, that is, in this case, only watermelon is spelled out in the menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a certain period. Additional water and green tea without sugar is allowed.
Despite the health benefits of watermelon, the mono-diet on it is considered a rigid diet that limits the intake of all the nutrients a person needs. It is used more as an unloading food for no more than one to three days. Sometimes it is extended up to five days. It is not recommended to withstand it longer, since due to a lack of essential trace elements, health can seriously deteriorate.
The advantage of the diet is the ability to cleanse the body and remove excess stagnant fluid in the body, remove puffiness.
Minus: 2-3 kg will go away, but this will not be the consumption of body fat. Weight will decrease due to the same excess water that is excreted from the body, after a few days everything will return back.
The Mono Diet is best used as one fasting day before switching to the main long-term diet or proper nutrition. In one day, it will not bring harm, and the body will help to restart.
Not a single watermelon
In this variant, 2 slices of rye bread are added to the main course - watermelon for each snack. The diet is not very different from the previous one. The only thing that makes it different is that the feeling of fullness that bread gives will help to stretch it for a week. This is where the pros end: during such a watermelon detox, the body still lacks vitamins.
In principle, on such a diet it would be possible to lose up to 7 kg per week, but there is one "BUT". If you calculate the total number of calories of watermelon, calculated for one dietary day, and the same bread, then this amount will significantly exceed the recommended calorie intake for weight loss.
Light diet for 7-10 days
Light diet for 7-10 days with a balanced menu. In addition to watermelon, the diet contains vegetables, unsweetened fruits, a small amount of cereals and protein products. But it is important that the calories for each dish are strictly calculated, and the serving size does not exceed the recommended one, and no additives are required. The diet is designed for 10 days, easy to maintain.
The best option for natural weight loss: the body gets everything it needs, the diet is easily tolerated.
During such a diet, you can lose up to 6 kg.
The advantage of the diet will be the ability to exercise physically, which will help burn fat, and gradually develop the habit of eating right.
Weekly watermelon diet menu
The watermelon diet menu for the week could be something like this.
- Breakfast:oatmeal in milk, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + feta + basil, seasoned with olive oil.
- Breakfast:rice porridge, tomato and a glass of juice.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + boiled chicken fillet + low-fat cheese, season with olive oil, add pumpkin seeds if desired.
- Breakfast:buckwheat porridge with prunes, unsweetened tea.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + tomato + cucumber + greens. Season with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Breakfast:brown rice with boiled beef, a glass of juice.
- Lunch:boiled beef and berry cocktail.
- Breakfast:muesli on water, a glass of juice.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + melon + unsweetened grapes + plums + walnuts. Season with lemon juice.
- Breakfast:buckwheat with boiled chicken, pomegranate juice.
- Lunch:watermelon and boiled chicken fillet.
- Breakfast:low-fat cottage cheese casserole, unsweetened tea.
- Lunch:salad - watermelon + chicken fillet + prunes + nuts. Season with vegetable oil.
- Dinner: watermelon.
In addition to the main food, it is recommended to consume low-fat kefir or yogurt with bran or flax seeds half an hour before bed every day.
Quitting the watermelon diet
Leaving the watermelon diet should not be abrupt.
The basic rules will be for everyone:
- do not burden the digestive system with fatty and fried foods, at least the first 3-5 days;
- Divide the daily ration into 5–6 meals and small portions;
- other dishes are added according to the principle: from simple to complex.
After a diet, it is advisable to reorganize to a proper diet, then the result achieved in a week will not only be fixed, but will also last for a long time.
Watermelon diet: nutritionist reviews
Let's take a closer look at the reviews of nutritionists about the effectiveness of the watermelon diet.
"I do not advise you to" prescribe "yourself not only watermelon, but also other diets. Each organism has individual characteristics. And what helped one person can seriously harm another. Therefore, one cannot do without consultation. The specialist will select a diet suitable for each individual. Moreover, modern studies have shown that starvation diets do not give the desired effect at all, and a properly formed diet is much more useful. "
“I can’t say anything good about a diet based on watermelons alone: despite the benefits of vitamins, the amount of watermelon eaten, or rather the sugars it contains, will have a negative impact on health. Firstly, the kilograms from such an amount of light carbohydrates will not go away, and secondly, because of the high glycemic index, you can provoke an increase in blood sugar. "