Diet for chronic pancreatitis is not such a terrible limitation as it seems. Of course, in order for the pancreas to recover quickly and be healthy, you need to take into account the peculiarities of the diet.
It is important to know when new dishes can be introduced and to keep in mind the prohibitions of gastroenterologists. But even from those products that are allowed, you can cook very tasty dishes and endlessly diversify your table.
General principles of proper nutrition
The main task of the diet is to relieve the load on the pancreas as much as possible. Fats and fiber are the hardest for the body to absorb. And the stomach has a hard time handling tough, dry food. Based on this, the basic principles of the diet are simple and straightforward:
- you need to eat in small amounts, but often;
- food should not be hot, cold, dry, hard;
- in cooking, fats, hot spices are excluded as much as possible;
- from the methods of processing products, frying, smoking, drying, canning are not used;
- food should be freshly prepared, mashed, or well chopped.
Any diet is limited to a certain list of foods. As you recover, the diet expands. These are the crucial moments of nutritional therapy. It is very important to correctly return products to the menu, so as not to negate the results achieved in the treatment and not to start all over again.
Therefore, any product is checked for reaction: first, a small portion is tried and, if the patient's condition has not worsened during the day, the dish is confidently included in the menu next week.
There are a number of foods that require the pancreas to secrete an increased amount of enzymes to process them:
- lard, as well as varieties of meat and fish with a high content of fat;
- homemade milk, sour cream, butter, hearty cottage cheese and cheeses (especially smoked and processed);
- chocolate, condensed milk and ice cream;
- rich pastries;
- all types of mushrooms and legumes;
- nuts and seeds;
- grapes, dates, figs;
- all varieties of pepper (both salad and hot);
- horseradish, garlic, onions (both green and onions);
- sour greens (sorrel, lettuce, rhubarb, spinach);
- white cabbage and radish.
Spicy sauces, vinegars, fats, mustard are excluded. Salt is used in limited quantities. Sugar is replaced by honey and xylitol.
Drinks also have to be divided into what you can and what not. Naturally, alcohol is completely unacceptable. Do not drink sugary carbonated drinks. The effect on the health of coffee, even natural coffee, is doubtful. It is not advised to take juices in stores, as they may contain preservatives.
Allowed Foods to Eat
In the diet, there remains a fairly extensive list of foods that are easily digestible and do not bring problems to the pancreas. For example, a lot of flour products can be used:
- rye bread (but stale);
- crackers from black and white bread (homemade);
- biscuit biscuits;
- dietary bread (you can shop);
- homemade noodles and vermicelli.
Oatmeal, rice, semolina, buckwheat porridges are cooked. Puddings, casseroles, cakes with baked apples and pears are made from low-fat cottage cheese.
Drinking during the recovery period can be not only healing, but also delicious. Allowed to drink:
- herbal teas and special pancreatic preparations;
- decoctions of wild rose, black mountain ash and currant;
- dried fruit compotes and uzvars;
- jelly from berries;
- vegetable juices;
- chicory with milk.
Allowed 1% kefir and some dairy products for those who do not have gastritis with high acidity. You can stir a pinch of cinnamon and turmeric in kefir. This is not only not forbidden to do, but on the contrary - it makes the drink a folk medicine for restoring the microflora of the stomach.
White poultry and lean veal are also on the menu for pancreatitis. There are many varieties of fish that are dietary for pancreatitis. You can safely eat cod, navaga, blue whiting, river perch, pike perch and other species with a fat content of up to 4%.
Dishes can be seasoned:
- linseed or olive oil, low-fat butter, refined vegetable oil;
- green dill and parsley;
- cinnamon, coriander, cloves, turmeric, fennel;
- sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Healthy vegetables provide a lot of space for dietary meals. Potatoes, carrots, beets, zucchini, pumpkin are used to make mashed soups, stews, salads and even healing juices. During periods of remission, the menu is expanded with tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, cauliflower and other products.
A gentle and strict diet for inflammation of the pancreas
Gentle diet is called because it minimizes the efforts of the digestive system. All food is selected for easy digestibility. It is carefully boiled or steamed and rubbed without leaving large pieces.
Thanks to all these manipulations, the pancreas does not need to secrete many enzymes, they do not "stagnate" in the ducts and do not corrode organ tissues. And with insufficient secretory work of the pancreas, excess food does not remain undigested, does not decompose in the intestine, does not cause inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.
How long must it be observed, how long does it last in an acute form?
With pancreatic inflammation, the patient is immediately prescribed fasting - the maximum possible sparing regimen for the pancreas. For several days, the body is cleansed of pancreatic toxins, fights pain. Stopping the work of the gastrointestinal tract makes it possible to "reboot" its natural programs.
After an attack, a person's food is limited to a few dishes that are prepared in small portions. A strict diet lasts from two weeks or more, depending on the severity of the attack.
Then the patient is transferred to table number 5 and its variations. This is a more extended diet than after the acute period, but still limited. It is observed for at least six months.
What should not be in the diet?
Any stage of pancreatitis clearly excludes alcoholic and carbonated drinks. You will have to forget about fast food, smoked meats, canned food and marinades forever.
When buying food in stores, you need to carefully read the information on the labels about the shelf life and composition. After all, permitted drying or croutons may contain unwanted additives (emulsifiers, icing sugar, vanillin).
It takes six months or more to strictly adhere to the permitted list of products. Even if the attacks don't bother you anymore. Further, with the permission of the doctor, products from the expanded list are gradually tried.
Table number 5 for inflammation of the pancreas
Table number 5 is indicated for all types of pain in the epigastric region of the abdomen with nausea and vomiting:
- with inflammation of the pancreas;
The menu does not include complex carbohydrates, sugar-containing ingredients, coarse fiber and esters. The daily menu is built on the basis of the minimum required amount of important nutrients:
- about 100 grams of protein;
- 90 g fat;
- 330 g of simple carbohydrates;
- 1. 5 liters of free liquid.
Salt can be added to food no more than 10 grams in total per day.
The average daily energy index of food value is up to 2. 5 thousand kcal.
Depending on the individual indicators and the type of pancreatitis, the doctor prescribes a specific type of diet No. 5 (usually 5p or 5a).
Examples of recipes for a therapeutic diet number 5
Diet food is easy to prepare. Some recipes take a minimum of time and effort, but are very helpful in restoring the pancreas:
- Boiled carrots are rubbed on a grater, crushed crackers are added. When the crackers are softened and soaked in carrot juice, the mixture is rolled into cutlets and heated in the oven.
- Grind the boiled breast in a blender with a little parsley. Balls are formed from minced meat and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- Buckwheat and rice flour are mixed. Knead the dough in water in half with milk. Add a spoonful of flaxseed oil and bake homemade dietetic breads in a slow cooker.
- The steamed fish is scrolled with boiled rice and juicy fish cakes are obtained.
- Low-fat cottage cheese is mixed with semolina, apple pieces are added and baked in a slow cooker. Sprinkle the finished pudding with cinnamon.
Rosehip decoction gives a green light at all stages of pancreatic disease. Several dry fruits are crushed, poured with boiling water and insisted in a thermos. The drink is drunk strained and slightly warm.
Diet number 5p is a classic table for pancreatitis. A balanced diet has been specially formulated to improve the functioning of the pancreas.
In diet number 5p, fats in permitted foods are strictly counted. The main meal consists of:
- slimy cereal soups;
- mashed vegetable stews;
- boiled beetroot and carrot salads;
- baked apples without peel;
- steam omelettes from egg whites;
- steamed cutlets from twice ground chicken or turkey fillets.
To compensate for the necessary fats, oils are gradually added to the dishes: olive, linseed.
Food 5a is not much different from room 5p. All the same restrictions on foods high in fat, fiber and complex carbohydrates. There are two main differences in gastroenterology:
- it is allowed to drink black tea with half a teaspoon of sugar;
- they are not allowed to eat 4–5 hours before bedtime; at best, dinner consists of a glass of kefir at 1%.
But nutritionists are convinced that table 5a is good for treating a complex problem: pancreatitis, complicated by disorders of the liver and bile ducts.
Table 1 for chronic form
Table number 1 is prescribed for chronic pancreatitis and gastritis in remission, some liver dysfunctions. Unlike diet number 5, the list of allowed foods and dishes is wider here:
- allowed to eat white bread, not too fresh (not hot, without a "fried" crust);
- from dairy products, sour cream of 15% fat, yogurt, cheeses (except for spicy, processed, smoked varieties) are acceptable;
- porridge is boiled in milk (necessarily store-bought, specially processed);
- milk and a teaspoon of sugar are added to black tea (if there is no diabetes mellitus).
The most important difference between diet No. 1 and No. 5 in a less gentle meal regimen. Products do not need to be kneaded and ground before use. You can eat boiled meat or vegetables in small pieces.
Proper nutrition for various types of inflammation of the pancreas
Inflammation of the pancreas comes in different stages and degrees. Depending on the period of the disease, it is chosen which diet is needed for pancreatitis:
- In the acute period, with an exacerbation of chronic inflammation or in the case of reactive pancreatitis in a child, the first days should be starved. All necessary nutrients are administered intravenously. When the danger has passed and the syndrome is stopped, liquid dishes are introduced through the mouth (watery mashed cereals and vegetable purees). The menus are gradually expanded, but the most sparing regime lasts about a month.
- Chronic pancreatitis, especially in remission, allows for a less restrictive diet. Foods are all boiled and steamed well as well, avoiding frying. But it is no longer necessary to grind them so thoroughly, as in the acute period. Vegetables, some fruits and berries are added to the diet. Prepare fish with a fat content of up to 8% and lean veal. In this mode, they eat for 6 months or more, depending on the speed of recovery of the pancreas.
All adults and children who have had an attack of pancreatitis at least once, nutritionists recommend adhering to a certain diet for life. This means that you cannot undermine the health of the pancreas again with spicy food, junk food, dubious unnatural drinks.
Proper nutrition in adults
The nutrition of an adult recovering from an acute pancreatic attack (or with chronic pancreatic malfunctions) is somewhat similar to the diet of a child. You have to eat often, five or six times a day. The food is prepared exclusively with fresh ingredients. Food is well boiled and crushed to maximize its absorption by the gastrointestinal tract.
An approximate menu for a week with inflammation of the pancreas
For the convenience of organizing dietary meals, specialists have developed quite a lot of various menu options for the week. A balanced diet for inflammation of the pancreas looks about the same.
Dishes can be swapped or repeated several times over seven days. It is recommended to just make sure that they are not duplicated within one day: if cottage cheese was present in breakfast, then it is more rational to add fruit or vegetable salad to the afternoon snack.
An approximate menu for a week is suggested in the table:
|Days of the week||Breakfast||Lunches||Dinner|
|Monday||Rice milk porridge||Zucchini soup and meat dumplings||Vegetable casserole and steamed fish meatballs|
|Tuesday||Cottage cheese pancakes||Broth with noodles||Mashed potatoes with veal meatballs|
|Wednesday||Steam omelet||Rice soup with boiled meat||Cottage cheese-semolina pudding with fruit|
|Thursday||Oatmeal porridge||Fish soup||Vegetable ragout from zucchini and pieces of boiled turkey|
|Friday||Curd pudding||Slimy soup and apple charlotte||Boiled beetroot and carrot salad and steamed chicken cutlets|
|Saturday||Homemade noodles with milk||Broccoli soup and chicken soufflé||Buckwheat porridge on water and steam omelet from proteins|
|Sunday||Semolina on the water in half with milk||Liquid vegetable puree with butter||Carrot pumpkin pudding and baked fish pieces|
Croutons are added to the first courses (they are soaked right in the soup) or slices of bread, if the diet already allows.
You can drink food with decoctions of dry rosehip or currant berries, herbal preparations.
There are three meals in the table for the approximate weekly menu. However, we must not forget that you need to eat often. Therefore, between breakfast and lunch, as well as between lunch and dinner, they make small snacks.
For afternoon snacks, fruit puree, carrot salad with sesame seeds, apples baked with cinnamon, low-fat cottage cheese are suitable. Shortly before dinner, it is permissible to drink berry jelly, tea or chicory with milk and biscuit biscuits, kefir.
The best diet for pancreatic inflammation in children
The diet of children with an inflamed pancreas is essentially the same as that of adults. The only thing that pays most attention to when making up a child's menu is the carbohydrate content of foods.
Children need this element much less than men and women. Therefore, the child's menu contains more vegetable salads, cottage cheese, jelly and baked fruits than side dishes and cereals.
The second difference between a children's menu and an adult's is, of course, the amount of food. The child needs half the portions. If an adult is given 200-300 grams of puree soup or vegetable stew for the first time, then the child, respectively, is given 100-150 grams.
If the child has reactive pancreatitis, then the first couple of days is shown to starve. On the third day, they give 50-100 grams of slimy soup, weak tea without sugar. Every day, one new dish and drink is added: liquid vegetable puree and rosehip broth, mashed rice porridge and jelly, etc.
Diet baby food is also suitable for pregnant women and mothers who are breastfeeding. And not only as a treatment for chronic pancreatitis, but also for the prevention of its occurrence.
People diagnosed with pancreatitis or gastritis are upset that they have to eat bland food for a very long time. In fact, a healthy diet can be delicious as well as healthy. The permitted products contain a lot of vegetables and even spices, with the help of which the table diversifies every day.
Moreover, the taste buds, freed from the imposed large amount of sugar and salt, begin to feel the real unique taste of natural fructose in apples or the spicy aroma of herbs. So, having replenished the piggy bank of home recipes with new dietary dishes, a person discovers a whole world of delicious food.
First courses of dietary food mainly consist of slimy soups or pureed soups. Later, broths on poultry meat are added (only the second cooking).
An important rule for preparing all hot dishes for pancreatitis: add salt, sprinkle with sesame seeds, season with chopped herbs only at the very end of cooking (even better - before serving). You need to start eating when the food has cooled down a little and has become pleasantly warm.
Slimy soup (oatmeal)
Slimy soup is the healthiest one for the pancreas. Cooking is simple:
- oatmeal grains are ground on a coffee grinder;
- the resulting crushed cereal (half a glass) is poured with 1. 5 cups of warm water, put on fire;
- bring the porridge to a boil and cook in a steam bath for 15 minutes;
- insist under the lid for another 10 minutes.
When the diet is expanded, milk is added to the slimy oat soup.
Using the same technology, slimy rice soup is cooked, eventually diluting it with chicken broth or meat puree.
Milk noodle soup
Not a single child's menu is complete without milk noodle soup. This hearty and healthy dish is prepared according to the standard recipe:
- 3 tbsp. l. homemade noodles are thrown into boiling water, the fire is tightened to medium and the pasta is boiled until half cooked;
- thrown back in a colander, put in a cold saucepan with a thick bottom and pour milk (1. 5 tbsp. );
- bring to a boil, then cook the noodles for another 5-7 minutes;
- add 1 tbsp. l. butter and a pinch of salt (if allowed by your dietitian).
If you have a slow cooker, then it is convenient to immediately pour milk into the noodles and boil in 110 degrees mode for 10 minutes.
Homemade noodles can be purchased at the diet department store or made with wheat flour. In chronic pancreatitis, it is allowed to use vermicelli instead of noodles.
Zucchini and cauliflower puree soups
Delicious squash and cabbage soup is added to the diet, expanded with new vegetables:
- cut the peeled zucchini (150 g) and disassemble the cauliflower (100 g) into inflorescences;
- pour water and cook until tender;
- drain the water, leaving quite a bit, and transfer everything to a blender;
- add 1 tbsp to the resulting air mixture. l. oils and a pinch of salt;
- put in a plate, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
If there is no blender, vegetables are pounded like regular mashed potatoes.
This recipe works with any combination of permitted vegetables and seasonings. For example, you can make zucchini soup with broccoli or carrots by adding chopped parsley to a blender.
Vegetable salads and meat or fish meatballs, puddings, dumplings are good second courses. Salads are mainly made from boiled vegetables (potatoes, carrots, beets, broccoli, zucchini).
They are seasoned with one tablespoon of oil (linseed, olive, refined vegetable). Permitted spices are added to meat products to taste (Provencal herbs, basil, cloves, turmeric, dill, parsley).
For pudding, take fillets of any permitted fish with a fat content of up to 8% (in a stricter diet - up to 4%):
- meat peeled and boneless (250 g) is ground in a meat grinder;
- one slice of stale wheat bread is softened in water and gently squeezed;
- beat one egg (if the yolk is not yet allowed, then take 2 whites);
- add eggs, 50 ml of milk, a little salt and 1 tbsp. l. butter in minced meat;
- shake in a blender.
The pudding is baked for 15-20 minutes, putting the mixture in a mold (you can grease it a little with olive oil) or in a slow cooker.
The most delicate meat soufflé is prepared in two ways: in a slow cooker (covering the mixture with a piece of foil) or in a preheated oven with the door open (so that the dish does not "fall").
The essence of the recipe is as follows:
- turn chicken fillet (250 g) in a meat grinder twice;
- add 1 protein, 100 ml of milk and ½ tbsp. l. butter;
- put in a mold or in a slow cooker and bake.
Ground turkey is also good for soufflé. In the remission stage of pancreatitis, you can add minced meat before baking and add a little grated cheese to it for a new piquant taste.
Despite the ban on ice cream and chocolate, it is also possible to ensure a sweet life with pancreatitis. Very tasty and healthy:
- jelly from berries;
- baked apples with cinnamon;
- biscuit biscuits with milk and honey;
- homemade meringue (whipped whites with sweetener);
- fruit mixes (apples, bananas and pears are whipped in a blender, lemon juice and honey are added).
Homemade sweet candied fruits
If you cut apples, bananas and lightly boiled carrots into cubes, fold on a baking sheet and dry slightly in a preheated oven, you get excellent homemade candied fruits. They are eaten with honey, washed down with herbal tea or black rowan decoction.
Candied fruits are also easy to make from pumpkin: boiled and peeled slices are cut into cubes and spread on a baking sheet slightly oiled with olive oil, placed in a preheated oven with an open lid for half an hour. Ready candied fruits can be added to curd puddings, syrniki, and semolina milk porridge.
Steamed carrot pudding with apples
You can pamper not only yourself, but the whole family with delicious pudding:
- 6 medium carrots are chopped and stewed for 10 minutes in a glass of milk diluted with ½ glass of water;
- 3 apples without peels and seeds are rubbed onto a coarse grater and added to stewed carrots;
- after 10 minutes, make mashed potatoes (with a blender or crush);
- add 2 tbsp. l. butter, 4 tbsp. l. semolina, 2 whipped with protein, 2 tsp. honey;
- beat everything (you can use a mixer) and bake (in the oven or slow cooker) for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle the finished pudding with cinnamon.
Consequences of non-compliance with the diet
As you can see, it is easy and pleasant to follow a diet, knowing many healthy recipes for homemade dishes. An inflamed pancreas needs a scrupulous attitude to food. Otherwise, the consequences are inevitable, because of which it will be really difficult to return to a varied diet.
Failure to comply with the diet can cause irreparable harm and result in serious diseases: jaundice, stomach ulcers, renal failure, diabetes mellitus, the appearance of cysts and malignant tumors in the pancreas. None of this will happen if you follow the instructions of the gastroenterologist, undergo a preventive examination and eat right.