Many people tend to have a slender figure. However, not all realize that often cause excess weight stands excessive consumption of simple carbohydrates. So more and more gaining popularity low-carb diet for weight loss.
What is the method of weight loss
It is known that carbohydrates provide the body with energy. If the resulting energy is not consumed, it accumulates in the form of layers of fat.
Weight loss with a low carbohydrate diet is due to the fact that the consumption of carbohydrates is minimized, and the amount of protein in the diet increases. This runs the following processes. The body, ceasing to get the energy it needs, begins to find new sources. In the first 2-3 days the energy supplier acts as glycogen, which accumulates in the liver, muscle and fat layer. Then begin intensely to split the fats, causing the synthesized additional sources of energy — ketones (these products plus that can reduce appetite).
Thus, the diet is based on biochemical processes, which actively burned fats and occurs weight loss, this week, you can lose 3-5 kg of excess weight.
It should be noted that this diet is not just weight loss, and a certain style of food, which you can use throughout your life. Strict restrictions are imposed only in the initial phase, and then maintaining and improving a result for a basis we can take a rule not to eat carbs more than 3-5 g per 1 kg of body weight. When the normal functions of the body are not violated, and the weight is retained guaranteed and isn't growing.
Locally to lose weight in certain areas (abdomen, thighs, buttocks, etc.) will fail. Weight is reduced evenly throughout the body.
It should be noted that all the carbohydrates in the diet period were not excluded, because without them can not be normal functioning of the body. The diet involves eating not simple, and complex (slow) carbohydrates, which are digested slowly, and the body is completely consumed received the energy from them.
The opinion of doctors, nutritionists
Because the period of direct low-carbohydrate diet (7 days a month) daily intake of carbohydrates does not exceed 40-60 g, the majority of nutritionists are wary of such types of losing weight. Deficiency of carbohydrate and excess protein can cause the body's unwanted disturbances and side effects.
Experts recommend more to follow a proper and balanced diet in which carbohydrate intake is also controlled. Such eating behaviour combined with moderate exercise to ensure weight loss. It will not be as fast, but without harm to health.
Because a low carbohydrate diet, the balance of proteins-fats-carbohydrates is violated, then there are some restrictions in which you cannot use this method of losing weight:
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- the age of 18;
- diseases of the liver and kidneys;
- elevated levels of cholesterol in the blood;
- malfunctions of the cardiovascular system;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (ulcer, gastritis);
- acute and chronic diseases.
Basic rules for low carb diet
During the resetting of the body weight, you can eat only permitted foods. During the period of weight loss, it is strictly forbidden to use:
- bread and pastries;
- white rice;
- vegetables, which contain large amounts of starch;
- fruits with high sugar content (bananas, grapes, dates, etc.);
- carbonated beverages;
- alcoholic beverages.
- Products that are allowed should be boiled, steamed or baked.
- Consumption of carbohydrates should not exceed 100 grams per day.
- During weight loss, be sure to observe the drinking regime: during the day you should drink 2 liters of clean water .
- The diet involves eating 5 times a day, the latter use should not be later than 2-3 hours before bedtime.
- A day you should sleep at least 7 hours.
- During weight loss you need to consume vitamin complexes.
- During the diet recommended moderate exercise. This will improve the end result and allow you to maintain muscle mass.
- The duration of a low-carb diet with a strict limitation of carbohydrates should not exceed 30 days.
- The daily rate of calories for women should be not less than 1200 kcal, and for men not less than 1500 kcal.
Table: the ratio of proteins/fats/carbohydrates in a low carbohydrate diet, for women and men
|The daily rate|
|Calories||1200 kcal||1500 kcal|
|Proteins||120 g||150 g|
|Fats||46,7 g||58,3 g|
|Carbohydrates||75 g||93,8 g|
Low-carb diet has a variety of products, so in the diet period not have to starve. The table shows the main products that are used for weight loss.
Table: permitted foods
|Indicators per 100 g of product|
|Calories, kcal||Proteins, g||Fats, g||Carbs, g|
|Lean pork||172||Of 30.46||4.62 a||0|
|Lean fish (hake)||86||16,6||2,2||0|
|Low-fat cheese (cheddar, Colby)||173||Of 24.35||7||Of 1.91|
The table data shows that a major source of protein are meat products, fish and eggs. Cereals, vegetables and fruits provide the body with essential slow carbohydrate.
Sample menu for a week
A menu can be used for diet for a duration of 7 days. It is possible to use as the basis for weight loss. Allowed different variations of dishes from allowed foods.
Table: sample menu low carb diets for 7 days
|Day||Breakfast||2 Breakfast||lunch||Afternoon tea||Dinner|
|1 day||Cheesecake — 150 g, tomato or cucumber — 1 PC., unsweetened tea — 200 ml||Yogurt — 100 ml||Steamed fish — 150 g cabbage salad — 150 g bread — 1 PC.||Grapefruit — 1 PC.||Porridge of brown rice with vegetables — 200 g|
|Day 2||Omelet of two eggs, boiled chicken — 150 g||Low-fat cottage cheese — 100 g||The mushroom soup with the addition of low fat sour cream — 200 g, bread, unsweetened tea — 200 ml||Yogurt with chopped cucumber and herbs — 200 ml||Boiled beef — 150 g salad of cucumbers and tomatoes — 150 g|
|Day 3||Steamed vegetables with grated cheese — 150 g||Milk — 100 ml||Vegetable soup in chicken broth — 200 g||Apple — 1 PC.||Boiled chicken breast — 200 g cabbage — 100 g|
|Day 4||Oatmeal with Apple — 150 g||Grapefruit — 1 PC.||Stew of veal or chicken with vegetables — 200 g||Low-fat cottage cheese — 150 g||Buckwheat — 150 g beetroot salad — 100 g|
|Day 5||Cheese — 50 g boiled eggs — 2 pieces, unsweetened tea — 200 ml||Apple — 1 PC.||Pea soup in chicken broth — 150 g salad — 100 g beef steak 50 g||Yogurt — 100 ml||Boiled brown rice — 150 g of mussels — 100 g|
|Day 6||Cheese — 50 g, boiled egg — 1 PC., unsweetened tea — 200 ml||Natural yoghurt — 100 ml||Baked meat 150 g, salad vegetables — 150 g||Kiwi — 1 PC.||Steamed vegetables — 200 g|
|Day 7||Dairy buckwheat — 150 g||Low-fat cottage cheese — 100 g||Fish baked with vegetables — 200 g||Yogurt — 100 ml||Baked chicken breast — 150 g|
With longer term low-carb diet (e.g., 30 days) every 5-6 days the amount of complex carbohydrates you can raise to a normal level. This will help to prevent the slowing of metabolism, which is characteristic of all types of diets.
What you can do during weight loss: the delicious recipes
Chicken in a slow cooker
- fillet — 250 g;
- water — 150 g;
- salt, pepper — to taste;
- Bay leaf — 1 PC.
Chicken should be washed, season with salt and pepper and lay on the bottom of the bowl multivarki. Pour water and add Bay leaf. Set the mode "Stewing" on for 1.5 hours.
100 g of this food contains:
- calories — 103 calories;
- protein — 12.5 g;
- fat — 5 g;
- carbohydrates — 0 g
Meat with cheese in the oven
- veal — 400 g;
- cheese — 100 g;
- milk — 100 ml;
- vegetable oil — 1 tbsp;
- salt, pepper, spices — to taste.
Veal should be washed in cold water, cut into pieces and repel. Protiven oil, put the meat and pour the milk. The prepared dish must be put in a preheated 180 °C oven and leave for 1 hour. After that, the meat should be salt, pepper, add spices. Cheese cut into thin slices and put on top, put again in the oven and bake for another 30 min.
In 100 g of the finished dish contains:
- calories 129;
- protein 15.5 g;
- fat — 6.4 g;
- carbs — 0.7 g
Soup with oat bran
- Turkey — 150 g;
- water — 1 l;
- onion — 1 PC.;
- egg — 1 PC.;
- oat bran 1.5 tbsp;
- dill chopped — 1 tbsp;
- green onions — 2 the arrows;
- salt, pepper — to taste.
The Turkey cut into chunks and boil for 20 min. Add the broth, dill, green onions and raw egg and cook for 5 mins Then add the bran.
In 100 g of the soup diet contains:
- calories — 38 calories;
- protein 4.3 g;
- fat — 2 g;
- carbohydrates — 0,1 g.
Salad with Peking cabbage and fruit
- the average cabbage – ½ PC.;
- Apple — 1 PC.;
- orange or grapefruit — 1 PC.;
- green onions — 2 the arrows;
- lemon juice — 1 tbsp;
- salt — to taste.
Orange or peel a grapefruit (the grapefruit, cut the flesh from piers because they are very bitter with the taste). All the fruits into cubes and combine with the shredded cabbage. To the salad add chopped green onion, salt and lemon juice. Mix everything carefully.
100 grams of salad contains:
- calories — 33 calories;
- protein 2.7 g;
- fat — 0 g;
- carbohydrates 6.6 g
Out of the diet
To weight did not return after a week or month marathon low-carb diet, you should follow certain rules:
- the number of calories consumed needs to increase gradually to the daily value, adding each week for 50 kcal;
- it is not necessary to exceed the recommended consumption of carbohydrates per day (3-5 g per 1 kg of body weight);
- it is recommended once a week to do a day with a small amount of carbs and use the menus from the proposed diet;
- we can not forget about drinking regime — 2 litres a day of clean water;
- products better boil, cook in the oven for a couple;
- do not eat later than 2-3 hours before bedtime;
- it is recommended to do physical exercise.
>The pitfalls of low-carb diets
Lack of carbohydrates and an increased intake of protein can lead to some undesirable effects.
- Malfunctions of the liver and kidneys. These organs excrete toxins, including those that are formed during protein breakdown. Thus, the more protein foods are consumed, the more is synthesized toxic substances, and load on the liver and kidneys increases several times, which can lead to inflammatory processes.
- The risk of developing atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease and other cardiovascular diseases. This contributes to increased levels of "bad" cholesterol in the blood when protein food.
- The occurrence of constipation and, consequently, hemorrhoids.
- Headaches, low mental activity, irritability and nervousness. These symptoms develop on a background of carbohydrate starvation.
- The deterioration of the skin. Dry skin appears due to insufficient amounts of fat.